Good for you. You’ve taken the first step and written your masterpiece. The hard work is done, right?
There are so many puzzle pieces to put together for a successful indie author career. The process can feel quite … well … puzzling.
Once your words are complete, you must begin the work of polishing them into a professional novel.
The next steps.
- Editing and proofreading: Your work must be clean and organized. Plot inconsistencies or errors in spelling and grammar must not distract readers. They should be able to get lost in your words, not your mistakes.
- Proper cover design: The old adage, “never judge a book by its cover,” while sage in its wisdom is poor marketing advice. In this new world of primarily online book purchasing, the cover is crucial. Knowing what makes a cover appropriate for the genre you write in is not always instinctive. It can be very difficult to get right.
- Formatting the interior: The interior design can make a book easier to read and pleasing to the eye. Simply uploading a plain document isn’t enough anymore.
- Uploading your book: The major book-selling players have come a long way in streamlining the uploading process of digital books. They all have their own quirks and can be unintuitive.
- Finding readers: Knowing the techniques for finding readers is a massive endeavour to say the least. There are millions of readers out there. But if you don’t know where to find them, your book will collect digital dust on the eReader bookstore shelves.
- Creating a platform: Once you have readers buying, reading and enjoying your books, they will need a place to connect with you. and keep up with what is coming from you next. Therefore, you will need a website, social media, email, and more.
- Marketing: My experience with Facebook advertising as well as Amazon and BookBub have literally made my writing a lucrative full-time career. If you want to get this right, let’s face it, you’ll need help.
Each step is crucial for your success. And this is just the beginning. The list could go on and on.
I can’t do this on my own. I need help!
If you are feeling a bit overwhelmed, I have great news. There is a single place where you can find everything you need to start your career properly.
Mark Dawson’s Self Publishing 101 course for indie authors is now open for enrolment. It is perfect for writers who are dreaming of going full-time.
Follow my lead.
If you know anything about me you will know that I’m not exaggerating when I say that Mark’s courses changed my life. Indie publishing can be a hugely daunting experience. But it doesn’t need to be. I spent the first five years of my career making mistakes and losing money. Then I took one of Mark’s courses and have been a solid six-figure author every year since.
I can’t guarantee that you will have exactly the same results as me. But I can assure you that Self Publishing 101’s rigorous approach to the fundamentals of indie publishing is the best way to lay the groundwork for a successful career as an author.
Enrolment closes soon. So if you want to make the best investment you’ll ever make in your writing career, jump on Mark’s Self Publishing 101 course sharpish.